5 Advantages of IOP Programs
October 27, 2022
Intensive Outpatient Program
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP) are becoming an increasingly popular type of treatment because of its many advantages.
However, before diving into the advantages of IOP programs, we should first define what an IOP is and whom it is best suited for.
What is it?
IOP is a program designed to help treat individuals with substance abuse and co-occurring disorder from mental health issues.
These individuals may have a strong addiction to drugs or alcohol, but do not require detoxification or 24-hour medical supervision.
Treatment takes place in a non-residential setting and is delivered on a routine basis to help clients adapt to the recovery process.
The length may vary based on the individual’s case, but most include 9-12 hours of group therapy per week, lasting several weeks.
Some IOPs may require clients to participate in a 12-step program such as AA, attend individual sessions with a therapist, and more.
Therapy includes a mix of behavioral and psychosocial to help clients understand the underlying causes of their addiction and overcome them.
Who is it for?
IOP programs often serve as a stepping-stone for individuals coming out of Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) or even full-time Residential treatment like inpatient rehab or detox.
They still require a great deal of commitment to the recovery process, yet they allow individuals to regain a sense of independence.
Overall, IOPs may be best suited for individuals who have strong support systems and are willing to work hard to get sober.
Some addiction treatment centers that offer IOP have professional clinical staff that can also treat co-occurring disorders. This is when an individual has a substance use disorder (SUD) along with a mental health issue such as anxiety or depression. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction along with a mental health issue, then an IOP Program may be an ideal solution.
There are many advantages of enrolling in an Intensive Outpatient Program. Here are five of the most common ones that make it the most attractive option:
- Less Expensive. Outpatient programs are often significantly less expensive than Inpatient programs because they do not involve additional hefty facility costs.
- More Flexible. Most treatment centers offer a session schedule that allows clients to keep up with their other responsibilities such as attending school or going to work.
- Receive Support. Patients in IOP meet with and receive support from their peers and families, helping them to rebuild existing relationships and establish new ones.
- Retain Normalcy. IOPs allow patients to receive structured treatment while allowing them to carry-out daily activities, retaining a sense of normalcy in their lives.
- Maintain Privacy. Outpatient programs can help patients maintain some level of privacy because they don’t have step away from their lives for an extended period
IOP at The MODE
Many addiction treatment centers offer similar programs, but not all may provide the same level of individualized care.
Here are five advantages of attending The MODE’s Intensive Outpatient Program located in the greater Akron area of Fairlawn:
- Evening Availability. We offer both morning and evening IOP sessions three times per week to accommodate our client’s schedules.
- In-Person Sessions. All IOP group therapy and individual sessions take place in person at our treatment center in Fairlawn, Ohio.
- Convenient Location. The MODE is located less than a quarter-mile walk from a bus stop on the Akron Metro’s “West Market” route.
- Integrated Treatment. We have experienced staff to help treat the addiction, itself, as well as any type of co-occurring disorder.
- Affordable Care. The MODE accepts most major insurance carriers as well as offers self-payment options at discounted rates.
To get started, call 330-991-5480 to schedule an assessment so we can determine if IOP is the proper level of care needed.